Propane – FAQ
We’ll make it simple and if you need more info check out the referral page.
- Become a New Customer and get a $50 account credit once you’ve received and paid for your first 250 gallons of Propane or Fuels, or a $25 credit for your first 100 gallons of delivered and paid for Lubricants/Oils.
- Refer a friend to Mulgrew and not only will that friend receive the same New Customer Credit that you did, but you’ll receive the same amount on your account that they do! The more friends you refer, the more account credits you’ll accumulate!
- If you’re an existing customer, you can refer yourself and add a product you haven’t purchased from us before, or in the last two years. Once you get your minimum delivery for that “new” product and it’s paid in full, we’ll give you the same account credit given to new customers!
Mulgrew offers an annual Propane contract. Offerings are mailed out, or it can be completed electronically on our Customer Portal.
- Summer Fill (Residential):
- Completed in Summer/Fall
- Ag/Commercial Contract Period:
- September 1 – April 30
- Cash Discount
- Our customer saves $.05 cents per gallon if account balance is paid within ten days of delivery with cash or check. Credit/debit card payments do not qualify for this discount.
- Bulk/Volume Discount
- Call us today to discuss bulk/volume discounts so we can be sure you’re getting the best price possible for your larger orders.
- Mail-in your payment or visit our company headquarters at 10314 Silverwood Drive Dubuque, IA 52003
- You can give a check or cash directly to your driver
- Call-in your payment to 563-583-7386
- Pay your bill at our Scales Mound, IL location 135 Franklin St. Scales Mound, IL 61075
- Cash, ACH/EFT, check and credit cards (Visa and MasterCard)
- Online payments are available on our portal using your statement or delivery ticket as a reference, or pay the desired amount.
Our minimum delivery for propane is 250 gallons.
Mulgrew Oil and Propane offers a variety of propane programs tailored to fit your needs:
- Regular Fill
- Qualifying customers can elect to keep accounts on a keep-full status. This allows our drivers to fill tanks regularly while they drive their routes. It greatly reduces the risk of running out of propane when it is needed most. *Contracted customers for LP and Ag/Commercial Diesel use are Regular Fill automatically.
- Will Call
- You can choose to be a Call-In customer. Call-In customers will purchase propane at market-price at the time it is ordered. Customers using this plan must keep in mind the price of fuels and propane fluctuate daily similarly to how gasoline pricing fluctuates at the gas pump. This plan requires the customer to self-monitor their tank level(s) and call in giving our drivers enough time to fill the tank to avoid delays or additional fees.
- Summer Fill
- Mulgrew customers who qualify may fill their propane tanks in the months of June, July or August and receive a deeply discounted price on LP. Customers have sometimes asked why they would take delivery of propane in the summer when they aren’t using home heat or much LP. Normally this is when propane demand is the lowest and therefore has the lowest market price in addition to the Mulgrew summer-fill discount. Payment Programs
- Budget Pay
- Regular Fill customers can choose to go on a payment plan which locks in pricing for a certain amount of propane for the winter season at a set price. Budget Pay establishes a set monthly payment for 12 months from September to August.
- Direct Pay
- Customers with Direct Pay can sign up to have an electronic payment pulled from their banking account after they’ve had a delivery. This eliminates the need to worry about sending in payments manually or being late sending in a check.
- Online Pay
- Our Customer Portal has a convenient option to pay online! Just use your most recent statement or sales ticket as reference, or pay any amount you prefer. You can pay with VISA, MasterCard or Discover.
There are a lot of factors that impact the answer to this question such as how well insulated a home may be, winter temperatures, thermostat setting etc. But as a rule of thumb, customers can take the square footage of their home and divide that by 2 to get a rough estimate of propane gallons used in a typical winter for home heat. Therefore a 2000 square ft. home, whose only use for propane is home heat could expect to use approximately 1000 gallons of propane.
Propane is considered a clean burning fuel and because of its portability, it has been used around the world for more than 50 years. Some of its uses are cooking, heating, manufacturing, agriculture, recreational, petro-chemicals and propellants. Additionally, because it is considered a clean burning alternative fuel for gasoline and diesel, propane continues to gain popularity in the transportation and warehouse (forklift) sectors.
There are three main parts:
- Tank or cylinder where propane is stored and where main shut-off valve is located.
- Regulators to control pressure between tank and appliance(s).
- Piping to carry propane between tank and appliance(s).
In its natural form propane has no smell. However, for safety the industry has added Ethyl Mercaptan to propane to alert users if they have a leak. It has been said to be a “strongly disagreeable” odor that smells to some like leeks, onions, cooked cabbage or rotten eggs.
The gauge of your propane tank is located at the top of the tank, under the dome (lid). The gauge is round and has large numbers up to 100. Where the needle points to is what percentage your tank is full. Please be advised, gauges are not 100% accurate.
- Any interruption in propane service.
- Any occupancy change at the residence.
- Propane systems that have run completely out of gas.
- Propane systems that have a suspected or reported leak.
- Following an installation of a new propane appliance.
Mulgrew provides a tank rental with a 4-year agreement that includes no payments. You are simply required to use Mulgrew as your only provider of propane for the duration of the agreement. The cost of breaking the contract is $225. *Additional installation fees may apply if a customer requires new pipes and parts past the first stage regulator, to connect the tank to the home/building.
It is your right to switch propane service providers. However, if you have a Mulgrew-owned propane tank at your home, you may NOT have another service provider fill or pump out of a Mulgrew-owned tank.
You should contact us and let us know that you would like to discontinue service with Mulgrew, our employees will retrieve our owned propane tank and you can have the new propane supplier place their own tank on your property. Any remaining propane in the tank at the time of pick up will be pumped over to the new tank set by the new provider with sign release.
Yes, you can request a buried tank. Depending on your area there may be special permits required. There will be labor and parts charges for Mulgrew to install the underground tank. Call us today at 563-583-7386 to discuss how we can help!
You can transfer the tank (if you own it) to the new owner in your sale along with the gallons in the tank. If it is a Mulgrew tank that is rented, please make us aware as soon as possible as to the sale and we will work with you and the buyer on the best option for everyone involved.
We don’t recommend that a customer assumes anything. Often it is Mulgrew’s property if the sticker is on it. When a customer buys the tank, we try to have sticker removed.
More than likely but it is always good to investigate further to be sure. Never assume.
Yes, absolutely! Our team is available 24/7. We have on-call staff outside of regular business hours who can help you. *Trip charges may apply. However, to avoid running out, we strongly urge you to regularly check your tank levels and contact us when you get down to 20-30% so you can be scheduled for delivery. Remember that if you run out, an inspection is mandatory and you could incur service fees for that as well.